Andre Petterson Q/A
Andre Petterson is a talented local artist whose recent multi-media work has been rooted in photography. In his upcoming September show, Transition, Petterson ‘explores the contentious symbolism of the suit jacket.’
It is a show inspired by serious, Neoclassical buildings in Buenos Aires that have been overlaid with politically pointed graffiti. Petterson represents this idea of an uprising against the establishment with his Sumi-e type painting on a Westernized suit jacket.
Petterson’s show will run at the Bau-xi between September 10th and the 22nd.
In the meantime, Petterson is letting us in on some of his Vancouver favourites.
1. Specific place I go in Vancouver to be creatively inspired.
Any restaurant. More specifically, The Cactus Club in Coal Harbour. Love the view out of the big windows.
2. Best place for people watching.
3. Someone from Vancouver – alive or passed – who inspires me.
4. If you want great pictures of Vancouver, go to:
5. If Vancouver were an animal, it would be:
6. A sound I associate with Vancouver.
7. A pleasant smell I associate with Vancouver.
8. Food and/or drink that reminds me of Vancouver.
9. Particularly great show, of any kind, that I have seen in Vancouver.
Christian Boltanski at the Vancouver Art Gallery.
10. Favourite place to travel if I want to be creatively inspired.
For more on Petterson’s upcoming show see: Petterson’s Transition Show
By Elizabeth Newton
* Transition show images courtesy of Andre Petterson
• Header painting entitled SEVEN UP