Erin Wall Q/A
Once alive with hope and love – now in the dust dying.
Some call it opera’s greatest tragedy. When Iago inflames the jealous Otello, it is Desdemona who pays with her life. Shakespeare’s story comes brilliantly to stage through the music of Giuseppe Verdi and the lyrics of Arrigo Boito.
Vancouver Opera is mounting a Michael Cavanagh-directed production of Otello. Starring in the role of Desdemona is Erin Wall, internationally renowned and Vancouver-raised. Wall, who has sung at The Met, La Scala, Vienna Staatsoper, Opéra National de Paris and symphonies across the world, will be debuting her role as Desdemona here. She is part of a talented cast that includes Antonello Palombi as Otello and Gregory Dahl as Iago. The sixty-five piece orchestra is conducted by Jonathan Darlington.
Way back when – before she went onto study at Western Washington University and Rice – Wall studied at the Vancouver Academy of Music. In advance of her Vancouver Opera performances April 28th, 30th, May 4th and 6th, Wall talked to us about Vancouver.
1. Specific place I go in Vancouver to be creatively inspired.
The beach. I like to go for a run to clear my head, and finish the run by the water.
2. Best place for people watching.
Busy streets downtown – Davie, Denman, Robson, Granville
3. Someone from Vancouver – alive or passed – who inspires me.
Laila Biali, an amazing singer-songwriter with a beautiful voice.
4. If you want great pictures of Vancouver, go to:
Stanley Park and walk the seawall – a 360 degree view of the city. Or go up Grouse Mountain!
5. If Vancouver were an animal, it would be:
Definitely a water-dweller like a fish or whale.
6. A sound I associate with Vancouver.
Rain on the roof. Love that sound!
7. A pleasant smell I associate with Vancouver.
The smell of the forest after it’s been raining.
8. Food and/or drink that reminds me of Vancouver.
Either really good sushi, or a Legendary Burger at White Spot!
9. Particularly great show, of any kind, that I have seen in Vancouver.
I think the last show that I saw that I wasn’t in, was at the VSO a few years back. Vancouver has an amazing symphony orchestra. The program was Strauss and Beethoven.
10. Favourite place to travel if I want to be creatively inspired.
France or Japan!
i. Header & Final Photos: Emily Cooper
Gregory Dahl, Antonello Palombi, Erin Wall
ii. Erin Wall Photo: Kristin Hoebermann.