Kamal Jit Q/A
You might have seen Kamal Jit’s sparkly dresses as you walk north on Main, past King Edward.
This fashion designer has been in the business for more than twenty eight years. Her Show Off store has been at its current location for twelve. Jit creates gorgeous custom gowns for parties, prom, weddings, graduation. She also goes on buying trips and brings back unique dresses from around the world, particularly New York.
On our latest trip to Show Off – and there have been many! – we asked Jit for her answers to our Vancouver Q and A.
1. Specific place I go in Vancouver to be creatively inspired.
Decor stores, fabric stores, particularly in Gastown and on Main Street.
2. Best place for people watching.
Kerrisdale. I like the atmosphere and the up-to-date fashion.
3. Someone from Vancouver – alive or passed – who inspires me.
Bif Naked. She’s been in my store. I like her demeanour and her look with tattoos and these feminine dresses.
4. If you want great pictures of Vancouver, go:
Towards UBC, along Marine Drive. You pass Southlands, with the horses, then you’re into the evergreens.
5. If Vancouver were an animal, it would be:
6. A sound I associate with Vancouver.
The ocean or the rain.
7. A pleasant smell I associate with Vancouver.
The peonies in my garden.
8. Food that reminds me of Vancouver.
Tandoori King Butter Chicken. That’s the only take-out we get. Usually, we cook at home.
9. Particularly great show, of any kind, that I have seen in Vancouver.
10. Favourite place to travel if I want to be creatively inspired.
India – for the colours, the fabric, the textures.